Monday 11 November 2013

MY FIRST EXPERIENCE AT SEA

The first question to a mariner is always, 'How does it feel to be on land again?'. 
Many would say,'It feels great to be back on land'. 
But me on the other hand would like to say, 'Hell, I wanna go back again as soon as possible'.

     My first ship was a VLCC (Very Large Crude Carrier) of GT 161202T with a size of 333m X 60m, joined at Fujairah on 4th April, 2013. We sailed mostly from the Middle East to India, carrying crude oil each time. Had a chance to visit South Korea as well. 
Here's a pic of my ship:
     When I first Signed-On in the ship, it was a dream come true. But the first 2 months were very crucial, to be frank, I was like, what the hell am I doing here? Don't believe me? Well here are some pics of my E/R:

 



     The engine room was so huge, that I lost around 10kgs of my weight in the first 4 weeks. In the first month, I only had to trace lines, make layouts of each platform, & most importantly, I had to make sure the E/R was always clean. Now I know that you maybe thinking, what has cleaning got to do here? Well guys, lemme tell you one fact, 5th Engineer/Jr. Engineer is always incharge of cleaning & maintaining the E/R clean. Don't expect that you will be given to do work on machines unless you have proven yourself a good cleaner.
     But everything works out as time goes by. Slowly you start to learn small things by observing them. Soon after I joined the ship, I got a chance to see the procedure to change the liner of M/E, then a Generator broke down, so got to see it completely dismantled, including its body & frame, & then again another liner change of M/E.
     Well that's me during changing of M/E liner. The M/E was of Sulzer with 36960 BHP, while the generators were of MAN B&W. As our ship was an oil tanker, we had COPTs for discharging:
     As I said, the first 2 months were crucial, as I was finding it hard to cope up with the huge E/R, but well, after somedays I started to enjoy the huge E/R. Due to its enormous size, we had lots of space to work & no cramped places. 
     Slowly I started to learn things step by step, from starting the generator, to starting the M/E  plant, from cleaning to overhauling machinery. But as always my foremost job by the end of the day was to ensure that the E/R was clean.
     Since our ship was a VLCC, it didn't see much ports. We had to stay on SBM (Single Buoy Mooring), a place far from port, for loading & discharging. But yet, I got to go on shore leave in South Korea. The only drawback of an oil tanker is that you don't get to see much ports. If you want to see ports & visit other places, the best option is a Bulk carrier. 

     Finally after 2 months, I was completely settled in, & happy with my work. The best thing was that I started loving my job. It wasn't the cleaning that I loved, but the overhauling of various machinery & their troubleshooting.
     After completing 5 voyages, from India to Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia & South Korea, I finally signed off at Gujarat after 7 months of sea service on 28th October 2013. For me it was the best job satisfaction, working with big machines & a big ship. Can't wait to pass class IV exams & return to the sea once again. :)

34 comments:

  1. I got sponsorship from Great Eastern shipping co. ltd. thank you for your valuable words in this blog. hats off to you sir..!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sir i have finished my BE mechanical engineering in 2016 with 80% marks. now i want to move my career towards marine field. it took a lot of time for me to get permission from my family. but at present i am in very confused state i don't know how to start because i don't have any of my family member to guide me in this so please help me

      Delete
  2. Dear sir, please explain the career growth in marine with respect to learning and earning , as the GME course is bit expensive and that too after doing b.tech it add extra expense .Please clear on this , as i have cleared the entrance exam, and interview of anglo-eastern and then had medical which was done now waiting for final result (as everything is normal as per doctor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This field seems more cash earning, bt in reality, its courses are also costly.
      In the starting of this career, you wont earn or stockpile much cash, bt later as you progress, you will eventually stockpile lots.

      Delete
  3. Also please explain about the anglo-eastern institute , how is this company ? what rating they have got for providing training to fresher which is very important also growth and opportunity in this company and what kind of platform do they provide for bright career ??As they give placement on their on ship , is it kind of bond if so then for how long also clear that after providing pre-sea training and on-board training and clearing ivth exam , would they call again on their ship or we hv to look for other option ? please clear my doubt....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anglo Eastern is good.
      And yes, they do call you on their ships.

      Delete
  4. Hello,I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information. I'll definitely add this great post in my article section.
    Elementary First Aid Training Course

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Shreyas , i truly thank you for your always prompt response !!!
    And i hope u r having good and enjoyable moment during ur onboard.

    Sir,i have got a call from the Anglo Eastern to pursue GME training in june batch-2015. As they say to provide 100% placement if u r good during ur course also they impose bond of 2 years.

    My question to u are :
    1) Regarding their course structure : as it is 8 months class training + 4 months onboard(with stippened of $350) + 6 months onboard as junior engineer (with stippened of $750)........so i request you to explain me this course structure how it goes and do they really provide the mentioned stippened or does that even fluctuate more or less.
    2) As i have come to know , after every sail that we come back we hv to sit idle for another 5-6 months to get back on the ship and this continues forever in marine career , pls explain the fact , bcz u know sitting idle is very harsh experience in itself.

    Also , i would appreciate if u explain pros nd cons of joining marine career bcz from my perspective i am just looking more into money and then being with machines.
    my email id : msrk.pandey89@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. does this mean a sponsorship from anglo eastern?? how do u have applied to get it?? i am also interested in the same . plzz help.

      Delete
  6. If u r comfortable , kindly share ur email id to me !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello kapish I want to pursue marine engg after my BE in mechanical.. I'm in my final year and would like to know the exact procedure to get sponsorship from Anglo.. And did they placed u and all dat training and stipends.. as u have mentioned

      Delete
    2. My email Id is khanfaisal181@rocketmail.com

      Delete
    3. U can also msg me on WhatsApp... 7506999530

      Delete
    4. U can also msg me on WhatsApp... 7506999530

      Delete
    5. My email Id is khanfaisal181@rocketmail.com

      Delete
    6. Hello kapish I want to pursue marine engg after my BE in mechanical.. I'm in my final year and would like to know the exact procedure to get sponsorship from Anglo.. And did they placed u and all dat training and stipends.. as u have mentioned

      Delete
    7. Hello kapish I want to pursue marine engg after my BE in mechanical.. I'm in my final year and would like to know the exact procedure to get sponsorship from Anglo.. And did they placed u and all dat training and stipends.. as u have mentioned

      Delete
  7. Hii sir...
    i am Vishwas Jha , i have done my diploma in mechanical after 10th and m very much interested in marine and hence looking forward to have my career in this field. Please guide me what course i should opt for and the best colleges with good placement.I am interested in engine part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi sir I got selected with Bernhard schulte ship management through vishwakarma maritime institute in pune, I wanted to know the future prospects that do they call after clearing class 4, or I should consider some more companies for GME.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi sir I got selected with Bernhard schulte ship management through vishwakarma maritime institute in pune, I wanted to know the future prospects that do they call after clearing class 4, or I should consider some more companies for GME.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi sir I got selected with Bernhard schulte ship management through vishwakarma maritime institute in pune, I wanted to know the future prospects that do they call after clearing class 4, or I should consider some more companies for GME.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great! It is really good to share your experience, it may be useful to freshers. Thank you so much. To need any guidance for marine engineering ? International Maritime Academy helps you to take a correct decision.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am excited to be on the sea also. By the way, see http://www.pntc.edu.ph/, they are a good school for maritime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sir, I am a graduate mechanical engineer.I want to join merchant navy. How do i get the sponsorship from companies? How do i have to apply?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sir, I am a graduate mechanical engineer.I want to join merchant navy. How do i get the sponsorship from companies? How do i have to apply?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I joined SCI as trainee marine engg before 1 week... they will pay stipend 15k...my question is they wil provide allowance seperately or not

    ReplyDelete
  16. Inspiring bro....
    Im also planning to choose B-tech in Marine engineering from Ima-Chennai. when it comes to my high end researches Ima-Chennai (http://www.ima-maritime.com/ ) sounds good, is anyone knows about IMA, Please let me know

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello sir, nice to read your blog...
    I want to ask 1 question
    How about doing marine engineering in IMS GOA...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Exciting moment..

    Any one want to become a ship captain ? It is very simple join with International Maritime Time @ http://www.ima-maritime.com/contact-form.php

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello sir, i would like to know how to apply for sponsorship tests for GME course and where to search for the companies? I am doing my final year in mechanical engineering currently.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As a Marine College professor, I found this post very useful for Marine students, keep posting info like this. Kindly let me know how to subscribe for this blog because i need regular marine updates like this from you. Keep touch with my websites marine colleges | marine engineering colleges in tamilnadu under anna university

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Shreyas jhi, Glad you're a part of SCI. I've been following your blog since 1 and a half year,I was a B.tech graduate back then, and now I'm a part of SCI too, currently under training. I just wanted to ask you this, Are you still working for SCI or moved to foreign lines. And I would love to expect a post from you based on the challenges you had faced during your voyages.

    ReplyDelete